بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم (bismi-llāhi r-raḥmāni r-raḥīm)
In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
Guide for the performance of Umrah:
1) Take a bath (known as Ghusl) and put on Ihram (two white sheets for men, women can wear any Islamic dress). Then perform 2 raka’āt Ṣalāt (prayer). Men cover their head with Ihram during this prayer. You are now in state of Ihram*.
2) At the Miqaat** make your intention (known as Niyyah) to perform Umrah by saying: Labbayk Allahumma Umrah. (O Allah, I intend to perform Umrah).
3) Now repeat the Talbiyah (see below) frequently until you reach the Masjid al-Harām in Makkah al-Mukarramah. Men should utter this aloud while women should say it silently.
Labbayk Allahumma Labbayk. Labbayk La Shareeka-Laka Labbayk. Innal-hamda wan-na’imata Laka Wal-mulk La Shareeka Lak.
(Here I am at your service. O Lord, here I am. Here I am. No partner do you have. Here I am, Truly, the praise and the favour is yours, and the dominion. No partner do you have).
4) Upon reaching the Masjid al-Harām, Makkah the pilgrim may enter the Holy Mosque from any gate. The pilgrim should advance his/her right foot first and say:
A’udhu billahi-l-‘adheem wa wajhihi-l-kareem wa sultaanihi-l-qadeem min-ashaytaani-rrajeem; bismillah, Allahumma Salli ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘aalihi wa sallim; Allahumma ighfir lee dhnubi w-aftah lee abwaaba rahmatik.
(I seek refugee in Allah the Almighty and His noble countenance and His eternal power from Satan. In the name of Allah. O Allah, bestow Your peace and blessings on Muhammad and his family. O Allah, pardon my sins and open the gates of Your mercy for me).
The above supplication is not specific to entering the Masjid al-Harām in Makkah but can be said on entering all mosques. Upon entering the Masjid al-Harām, the pilgrim proceeds towards the Holy Ka’bah. Now stop reciting the Talbiyah.
5) At First Sight of Ka’bah: Recite 3 times Allahu Akbar La Ilaha Illallah. (Allah is Great, there is no God but Allah).
Now adjust Ihram to reveal right shoulder (Men Only)
At the Ka’bah approach the Black Stone, touch it with your right hand and kiss it. If this isn’t possible, you should face the Black Stone and point to it. There is a green light facing the black stone to show that you have reached it. Don’t push and shove, causing harm and being harmed by other people. When touching / pointing to the Stone, the following is said: Bismillah, Allahu Akbar (In the name of Allah, Allah is Great).
A pilgrim must walk anti-clockwise (keeping the Ka’bah on his/her left) and complete seven circuits. This is called performing the Tawaf. Each time you reach or are parallel to the black stone, touch it with your right hand, kiss it and say, Bismillah Allahu Akbar, if it is not possible then it is enough to point to it and say, Bismillah, Allahu Akbar.
While making your tawaf you may praise Allah and make supplications to Him in any words you please. Simple supplications are, Subhan Allah, Al-Hamdu Lilla, Allahu Akbar, La Ilaha Illallah. (Glory be to Allah, All praise is due to Allah, Allah is Great, There is no god but Allah).
It is preferable to end each circuit from between Rukni Yemeni to the black stone with the words:
Rabbana, atina fid-dunya hasanatan wa fil-akhirati hasanatan wa qina adhaban-nar Wa adkilnal janatah Mah-al abrari ya azeezo ya ghaffaro ya raabil alameen. (Our Lord, give us good in this world and good in the hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the fire. Enter us into Heaven with the faithful, O Almighty, O forgiving, O lord of all mankind jinn and all that exists).
For Men Only: The first three laps around the Ka’bah should be performed in hurried steps if it does not result in any harm or inconvenience to one’s self or to others. For the remaining four laps around the Ka’bah the pilgrim should walk.
7) After completing the tawaf (men should now recover the right shoulder with ihram), the pilgrim should pray two Raka’at Ṣalāt (prayer) behind the Station of Ibrahim (Maqaam Ibrahim) if it is possible, even though you may be a little far from it. Otherwise at any other place within the Sacred Mosque. In the first Rakaah of prayer recite Surat Al-Kafiroon and in the second recite Surat Al-Ikhlaas.
8) Now go towards Safa, and stop to drink Zamzam water. Drink facing the Ka’bah saying: Bismillah Allahuma Inni As-aluka illmun nafiun wa rizkun wasi-un wa shifaa-un min kullee daa. (In the name of Allah, O Allah I am asking you for beneficial knowledge and extensive sustenance and a cure from all ills).
Now go to Safa to perform Sai. At Safa facing the Ka’bah recite: Allahu Akbar three times and then recite: Laa ilaaha illallahu wahdahu la-Sharee-kalahu, lahul-mulku wa lahul-hamdu wa‘ala kulli shay’in Qadeer. (There is no deity except Allah, The One without a partner. He is the dominion and his is the praise, and He is powerful over everything).
Alhajju ashhurun maAAloomatun faman farada feehinna alhajja fala rafatha wala fusooqa wala jidala fee alhajji wama tafAAaloo min khayrin yaAAlamhu Allahu watazawwadoo fa-inna khayra alzzadi alttaqwa waittaqooni ya olee al-albabi. (For Hajj are the months well known. If anyone undertakes that duty therein, Let there be no obscenity, Nor wickedness, Nor wrangling in the Hajj. And whatever good Ye do, (be sure) God knows it. And take a provision (with you) for the journey, But the best of provisions is right conduct. So fear Me, O ye that are wise.)
You then descend from Safa and walk towards Marwah while reciting: Subhan-Allah wal-hamdu-lillahi wa-la-ilaha ill-Allah wa-Allahu Akbar wa la haula wa-la quwwata illa-billa. (Glory be to Allah, All praise is due to Allah, There is no god but Allah, Allah is Great, and there is no might nor power except Allah). You can recite any other supplication you wish. Increase your pace between the green posts (men only), but walk at a normal pace before and after them.
When you reach Marwah, praise Allah facing the Ka’bah and repeat the same supplications that were recited at Safa. One trip is over, second trip will be on Safa and third trip will be on Marwah. The sai of the Umrah is complete at seventh trip. Note sai ends at Marwah.
10) After completing sai end your Umrah by shaving your head (Men only) or shortening your hair (Women only). After this, the prohibitions pertaining to the state of Ihram are lifted and your Umrah is now complete.
Note: There are no required formulas or supplications for tawaf and sai. It is up to the worshipper to praise Allah or supplicate Him in his/her own words, or he/she may recite portions of the Qur’an, with due regard to the supplications which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) recited during the performance of these rites.
*State of Ihram:
A pilgrim must be in a state of ihram when he or she performs Umrah. This has two rules: 1. Dress Code and 2. Restrictions
|Dress Code: Men||Restrictions: Men and Women|
|Two pieces of plain, unstitched white cloth||Do not fight or quarrel with others|
|The head or face must not be covered with any clothing. You can use an umbrella for shade||Do not curse, talk sinfully or use any bad language|
|Do not wear: socks, shirts, turbans, trousers or underwear||Do not use perfume. This includes scented soap|
|Dress Code: Women||Do not cut, pluck or remove any hair or nails. Broken nails can be removed|
|Any Islamic dress for women||Do not have sex, kiss, caress or engage in any sexual behaviour|
|Face must not be covered with a veil||Do not kill, hunt or help others hunt any animals even if it is a fly|
|Hands must not be covered by gloves||Do not marry, propose or help others to marry|
Rules For Menstruating Women:
The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) said ‘Do everything that a pilgrim does, but do not make Tawaf of the Ka’bah until your period has stopped and you have made ghusl (bath)’ (Sahih Muslim)
The state of Ihram can only be started at certain places called Miqaats. For example those travelling from the direction of Madinah Al-Munawarrah stop at the outskirts of Madinah at Dhul Hulaifah.